Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic

Fields of Dreams

tball1x1.jpg  

At Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic, we know athletes. As the official team physicians for the Orlando Magic, the University of Central Florida, Rollins College, the Orlando Predators, the Orlando Ballet and Winter Park High School, we know just how important sports are to the people in our community.

That's why we celebrate our staff members who take time out of their personal lives to make a difference.

We've already introduced you to X-ray technician Henry Dudley, who coaches Pop Warner football in his free time. Now, we'd like for you to meet Carrie Cook, a patient service representative since 2009.

Carrie is the head coach for the Giants, a t-ball team of 4- to 6-year-olds that plays in Altamonte Springs. 

She's been coaching baseball for 10 years, but Carrie says this is her first year coaching t-ball. She says she first got involved when her now-14-year-old son, Bryce, was younger to be more involved in his activities.  

"As time has gone by, I have become attached to the kids in the community and the game itself," Carrie says.

She says she also wanted to teach her son about the importance of volunteering, and it appears to be rubbing off. He and two of his friends help her out with the team.

Carrie says she's committed to teaching her young players the fundamentals of the game. 

"I have to say, seeing their reactions to catching a ball, making a good hit or just running the bases with a huge smile makes my heart swell. As they get older, they start to make plays that they never thought were possible and the same smile comes out, their parents whot and holler."

Carrie says every year she tells herself that this will be her last year.

"Well here it is, towards the end of the season, and parents are already asking me if I am coaching again in the fall, I think you know what the answer will be."

She's even stepped up her time commitment. She's now on the Advisory Board for the league.

Carrie we know your players are proud to have you leading their team, but not as proud as we are to have you on our team!

© 2014. Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.